Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tracking The Bear



Been on a 15km hike through old forest today following the tracks of a bear...or maybe he was following us? We've seen many tracks of bears here in the north of Sweden but never actually faced one. Shy animals as they are.

The bear tracks on the photo are not fresh but probably from spring when the dirt road was softened due to the snow melt.

After having left the dirt road I couldn't find any good foot prints on the forest soil. But other things like claw marks or bear poop.



I'm not sure how I'd react if I saw a bear...my heart would probably beat twice as fast of excitement and I'd feel the urge to run away but couldn't because first I'd be paralysed by fear and second I'd know it's the wrong thing to do.



That doesn't stop me though from going into the wilderness, leaving the marked trails, equipped with a map (I know, we're old fashioned without GPS but we still manage...;-) exhausting myself physically and enjoy the rewarding views of nature. The urge of freedom and thirst for adventure is stronger than the fear.

2 comments:

LadyFi said...

Wow - bear tracks! Exciting and scary. I hope that you are now living in a cottage suitable for the cold Arctic winters and no longer living in a summer cottage! I get the chills just thinking about it! (I'm down in the Stockholm region.)

Not From Lapland said...

How cool is that! I have never even seen a bear footprint, although am supposed to be going bearwatchng this summer!

Copyright

Important Copyright Notice: The photos, text and videos of this blog remain the copyright of the Author Anne Wolter. Under no circumstances should the photos, text or videos be used without my express written permission. Please contact me if you wish to use or publish photos, videos or text from this blog.